Mandan, North Dakota
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
3555 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
32 Votes - "Friendliest"
13 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
5 Votes - "Most Fun"
2 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
Mandan takes their slogan, “Where the West Begins,” very seriously. The town started out as the village of the Mandan tribe and hosted Lewis & Clark on their journey. See the keelboat the explorers crossed the Missouri River with, Fort Yates and Double Ditch Indian Village where they passed through, and the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center.
If it is patriotism you are looking for, be sure to visit the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, which is dedicated to those who have served our country in every branch of the military. The cemetery is located in Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, where you can also find a reconstructed version of the former Fort Abraham Lincoln, the Custer House, and the reconstructed On-a-Slant Village for a look back into the Mandan tribe that once inhabited this land.
Visitors can also explore a zoo, art depot, and Native American reservations and landmarks. Mandan offers plenty of dining and shopping and outdoor recreation from camping, hunting and fishing to winter sports and a waterpark. Take advantage of golfing, kayaking, sledding, skiing or snowboarding.
With several community events each year, the most unique is Mandan Rodeo Days every 4th of July, voted the “Best Community Celebration.” Enjoy broncos, art, fireworks and the state’s longest parade. Find out more about where the West begins in Mandan’s reviews.
- Mandan is pleasant, friendly, and clean. A nice place to grow up, meet the love of your life, raise a family and work. Great coffee and buys at Mocha & More on Main Street and delicious Chinese at The Rice Bowl. I love it here.
- on September 17, 2012
- Mandan is one of a kind; no other town in the USA is named Mandan! Mandan is "Where the West Begins" as well as the Old Red Old Ten Scenic Byway which is part of the original National Parks Highway. Patriotic!!! Mandan is known for its one of a kind three day 4th of July celebration starting with the oldest and longest running Rodeo in the USA, three mile long 4th of July parade, Art in the Park, Fort Abraham Lincoln (think General George Armstrong Custer), Lewis & Clark liked the Mandans so much they spent the winter at Fort Mandan. Classic car shows. "Buggies and Blues", recreational vehicles show on Main Street, music in the Park. Mandan knows how to celebrate all that is America all summer long! Bring your flag and join in the fun!
- on September 17, 2012
- Mandan has the best 4th of July Parade. I've never seen a parade like this. The city does a wonderful job celebrating the 4th. A must see for all ages.
- on July 5, 2012
- Great town all year long. From Buggies and Blues to the worlds largest charity softball tournament, and the Fourth of July being the highlight of the summer, with music, the giant parade, Art in the Park and don't forget the Chiefs Govs game at the beautiful Mandan Memorial Ballpark every 3rd and 4th, where else would you want to live!
- on June 26, 2012
- I decided to make Mandan my home, after moving from NC to ND. As a disabled veteran I was overwhelmed by the love and support I received from people. What an awesome community of patriotic Americans.
- on June 22, 2012