2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
361 Votes - "Friendliest"
6 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
4 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
2 Votes - "Most Fun"
1 Votes - "Best For Food"
The Friendliest Small Town title only adds to Murray’s accolades as one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People and a Playful City USA recipient. Not only is this a prime location for young people as the home of Murray State University, it’s also certified as a retirement community and an ideal location for all ages with such friendly residents.
Murray State is a prime attraction in this small town. A public university with over 10,000 students, its presence provides athletics, art and entertainment for the entire community. The campus hosts The Clara M. Eagle Gallery, which features everything from photography and new media to woodwork, ironwork, sculpture and student art, and the Wrather West Kentucky Museum, which exhibits the regions history and development.
Visitors should not miss local landmarks like Murray Court Square and Central Park or area lakes and outdoor recreation. Central Park boasts a disc golf course, dog park, and theater classes, performances and youth programs through Playhouse in the Park. Kentucky and Barkley Lakes, connected by a canal, offer recreation, camping and attractions. From go-karts to water parks or fishing and hunting, the area offers something for everyone in a beautiful natural setting.
Hosting several seasonal festivals each year, Murray is best known for its annual Freedom Fest celebration, which includes street fairs, cookouts, concerts and a parade amongst the four days of events. People come from all over to join in the family fun, run the 5K, and view the fireworks finale.
Check out Murray's reviews for more!
- Cvs Pharmacy Propecia Thiazides Diuretics Buy Canadian Pharm Online Pharmacy Without Perscriptions viagra online prescription Cheap Generic Cialis Free Shipping Zithromax Itchy Skin
- on October 27, 2017
- While it has many chain restaurants, the local mom and pop eateries are even better. For the best hamburger in KY, try Sammons Bakery, a nice homestyle burger on a fresh baked roll. My personal favorite is Victor's sandwiches. Simply the BEST cheesesteak outside of Philadelphia. With over 100 sandwiches on his menu, there is something for everyone. Family owned for over 30 years, it is a true icon in MUrray
- on May 28, 2015
- I am from South Korea and honor to write about my experience related to Murray. I still can't forget the people in town I met many years ago. During my study years at the Murray State University for BS, I met many friendly people who had helped me a lot to go through my financial and academic difficulties. Especially, there was one family whom I have to talk about still and influenced my life to be changed as a caring person. At my senior year, I faced a severe financial program. I had no money to do anything, but had to consider drop out of school seriously. The family welcomed me as their family member and allowed me to stay at their house without any conditions. They even encouraged me not to give up my education. Through their helps and cares, I was finally able to graduate the BS with high academic achievements. Thanks to all the people I know in Murray.
- on September 20, 2013
- Murray Ky is FANTASTIC! When you walk down the sidewalk, people smile or say hello! At the supermarket, More than once, I've had people say "you just have a few items, go ahead of me!" People open doors for one another. It's just a friendly town. Add the lakes close by, the University, all the great places to eat, and all the great people, and what you get is, well, FANTASTIC!
- on September 16, 2013
- Murray is a wonderful small city -- the people are friendly and are very welcoming to any one that comes to visit. They embrace college students like they are "kin" -- it was a great place to go to college and live close to for years....
- on September 16, 2013