Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
1982 Votes - "Most Fun"
97 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
17 Votes - "Friendliest"
5 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
1 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
1 Votes - "Best For Food"
In addition to its title as one of the Most Beautiful Small Towns in America, Jim Thorpe has been named one of the Top 50 Places to Live and Play, one of the Top 100 Adventure Towns and the most Fantastic Town for Fall. It’s a recreation destination, charming small town, and historic landmark all in one.
Visitors frequent Jim Thorpe from nearby Philadelphia and New York City for hiking, biking, white water rafting, skiing and sight seeing. The D&L Trail and Flagstaff Mountain provide a beautiful setting with nature and parks galore. Guests can additionally boat, fish, swim and camp near area lakes for a respite from big cities. When the snows start there are ski areas close by and cross country skiing.
The town’s businesses line the downtown hub with storefronts, galleries, bed and breakfasts and local eateries creating a scene perfect for a post card. Take a walking tour or carriage ride to familiarize yourself with the town, then choose from all the activities or just wander and soak up the Victorian splendor.
Sitting up on Packer Hill don’t miss two elaborate local landmarks, the Asa Packer and Harry Packer Mansions. the Asa Packer is a guided tour through the home of the famed industrialist. The Harry Packer is an Inn that was used as the model for the haunted mansion in Disney World and now hosts Murder Mystery Weekends and luxury lodging.
In the center of town, the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway runs excursions from Old Mauch Chunk Train Station while the Mauch Chunk Opera House, Old Jail Museum, Mauch Chunk Museum provide a glimpse into the past. A short drive away the No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum, and Eckley Miner’s Village give the other side of the life of the miners.
No matter what your idea of "fun", from riding the train, enjoying a museum, shopping, dining, outdoor sports or just kicking back, Jim Thorpe has it all every season of the year.
- If you're looking for fun, you'll find a lot of it in Jim Thorpe, PA. Where else can you enjoy outdoor adventure on the river, at the lake and campgrounds, bike and hike incredible trails by day and enjoy terrific live entertainment at night at the Mauch Chunk Opera House - a gem of a venue. You can stroll the historic district for a tour - architectural or ghost - enjoy Jim Thorpe's unique shops, galleries, great restaurants, fun pubs, free wine tasting at Big Creek, horse and carriage rides, train excursions, see Tiffany windows and incredible architecture at St. Mark's, tour the jail, the museum, and the Asa Packer Mansion before returning to the comfortable elegance of the Times House Bed and Breakfast on historic Race Street, where you'll wake up to delicious scones, cakes and breads on a table set with china and silver in the privacy of your own room and plan another fun day in Jim Thorpe.
- on September 3, 2013
- Nestled between Mt. Pisgah and Flagstaff, Jim Thorpe has an energy not found in other historic towns. It has the Lehigh River running through the center of town for kayaking, rafting, fishing,tubing, swimming and for scenic relaxation. We happily live downtown. The Mauch Chunk Opera House enlivens the square with a varied venue of music to delight your weekend nights. Restaurants abound among luxurious B&B's and our Inn at Jim Thorpe is a full hotel which will cater to your senses with great hospitality, charm and style. Vintage shopping, ice cream and candy shops, the Mauch Chunk Museum to teach about our coal heritage, and tours of the historic Olde Jail Museum, where the Molly Mcguires' story survives, all create an exciting visit. We have Mt. bike trails along Pisgah's Switch Back Trail, and the Lehigh Gorge State Park with a bike/hike trail that follows the scenic class 2/3 Lehigh River. The Kemmerrer Park and restored Carriage House in front of the Harry Packer Mansion (B&B) and the Asa Packer Mansion, is open for tours and will dazzle you with Victorian Charm. Our Victorian Dimmick Library will beckon you inside, and we have book sales every weekend! Our train rides will thrill you at our historic train station during the summer and fall, but also during our Olde Time Christmas! Downhill skiing is a short 20 minute drive,and cross country and snow shoeing are right outside our doors! Mauch Chunk Lake Park has ice fishing but also a wonderful summer beach! If you sing, join our own Bach & Handel Chorale who perform Baroque and contemporary pieces each holiday season. Art Galleries and musicians are abundant! There's more, but you have to come to experience Jim Thorpe. My husband doesn't want to leave for a vacation because he says, "We live on vacation!" He's off kayaking or biking, and later we'll eat out, and then see a show at the Museum or the Opera House. I'll shop and have ice cream tomorrow. Jim Thorpe is a really fun town!
- on September 3, 2013
- JIM THORPE, PA IS MOST FUN TOWN EVER THEY HAVE TRAIN RIDES PEOPLE ON THE STREETS WITH MUSIC PLAYING SOME MOST AWESOME FOOD A HOTLE THATS HAUNTED WITH THE REALLY COOL SHOPS AROUND FROM HIKEING TO BIKEING TO WHITE WATER RAFTING ETC.
- on August 28, 2013
- I don't live in Jim Thorpe proper but just "up the Mountain" And I feel like I am on a life time vaca. The town & all the surrounding area is just beautiful. It is very peaceful, relaxing, fun, exciting , all in one.
- on August 26, 2013
- Jim Thorpe, its historic shopping street nestled in a terraced mountain ravine, has the romantic charm of a European hill town, with an adventuresome twist of Wild West! There's rafting, hiking and biking in the scenic Lehigh Gorge; swimming at nearby lakes; fine dining, pubs with local flavor, an absinthe bar; an old historic opera house hosting great rock, blues or jazz artists every weekend; and a bunch of great shops, including a record store that sells vinyl and CD's, a cozy well-stocked secondhand bookshop, and other unique stores selling jewelry, handmade soaps, antiques, vintage wear, and fashions by local designers. Museums, historic mansions, art galleries, train rides, carriage rides, evening ghost tours, murder mystery weekends, a butterfly sanctuary, and a haunted jail tour round out the activities in this extraordinary fun town! Jim Thorpe is well served by charming bed'n'breakfasts, a historic inn, guest lodgings, and nearby campgrounds and a motel or two. Proximity to NYC (2 hours), Philadelphia (90 minutes), the Lehigh Valley (30 minutes) as well as Harrisburg, WB-Scranton and DC/Baltimore, make it a choice destination for romantic getaways, affordable staycations, reunions, or just a quick daytrip escape from the city!
- on August 26, 2013