St. George Island Visitor Center and Lighthouse Museum
Built in 1852 on what is now Little St. George Island, the Light was “built to last” with pine pilings driven deep into the sand as a foundation. Its light was turned off during the Civil War so not to aid Yankee ships and it was not until 1865 that lighthouse keeper James Reilly relit the beacon. The lens suffered some damage during the war, but was replaced in 1888. In 1949, the Coast Guard installed an automated light, and by the 1950s lighthouse keepers were no longer needed, although the keeper’s house and oilhouse remained on the island. Years of storms and natural erosion finally caused the collapse of the lighthouse in 2005. The original plans were obtained from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. and the lighthouse was reconstructed on St. George Island, using as much of the original materials as possible. Come visit and climb the 92 stairs to the top of the Light.
2 East Gulf Beach Dr.
- St. George Island, FL 32328
- 29.67332600, -84.83062900
- Visit Website