Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
One of the original nine California missions founded by Father Junipero Serra, this one, named after Bishop Louis of Toulouse, France, was the fifth in line and established in 1772. Self-guided tours take in the church, the gardens, and a museum, which features everything from photos of architectural influences on the buildings over the years to a large collection of arrowheads donated by a local Chumash family.
The gift shop sells traditional nativity scenes and crosses, ceramic habit-clad nun sculptures, and books. It's also the place to inquire about the occasional docent tours. As this is an active Catholic parish, early morning masses are held on weekends; donations are accepted.
751 Palm St.
Old Mission Parish
- San Luis Obispo, California 93401
- 35.28113500, -120.66480900
- Mon.--Sat. 9--5.
- Visit Website
- (805) 781-8220