Historic Fort Conde Museum & Visitors Center
The French built the city’s first permanent fort of brick and stone in 1723, and its history is intrinsically linked with Mobile’s cultural history. Both the city and its fort were held by the French until the British took over in 1763. In 1790, the British were in turn usurped by the Spanish, and, in 1813, the Americans arrived. Just 10 years later, the need for new streets and businesses overtook the need for a defensive structure, and the original fort was torn down. You can learn more about Mobile’s strategic military importance and its colonizers on 30-minute tours led by docents in period costumes at the museum in this fort, a recreation that’s about one-third the size of the 1723 structure. Given that there’s an on-site Mobile visitors center, the fort also makes a great jumping off point for touring other attractions---historic and contemporary. What’s more, it’s one of the 18 or so stops on the city’s free hop-on-hop-off visitors shuttle, with departures about every 20 minutes.
150 S. Royal St.
- Mobile, Alabama 36602
- 30.68905200, -88.03976300
- Fort/museum/visitors center: Daily 8:30--4:30. Gift shop: Daily 9--4.
- Visit Website
- (251) 208-7304