Bodie State Historic Park

Description

The town of Bodie was established in California in 1861 and named for W. S. Body (also known as William Bodey), the prospector who staked his claim here in 1859. The town name changed to avoid mispronunciation. Bodie, in its heyday, surrendered up 32 million dollars in gold and at least 6 million dollars in silver. It was notorious for its rough living (there were about 65 saloons and bawdy houses to service a population of around 8,000-10,000) and its crime: a highly exaggerated legend has it that in the two years between 1879 and 1881, an average of one murder a day occurred in the bad town of Bodie. Legend also has it that a little girl, learning that her family was moving to the infamous community, wrote in her diary "Good-bye. God, I'm going to Bodie." Upon hearing the story, the editor of the local paper declared that she actually wrote "Good, by God! I'm going to Bodie. "As gold and silver became harder to find, Bodie suffered a string of devastating fires, the last of which, in 1932, destroyed 90 percent of the town. Today, the remaining 10 percent is preserved as a California Historic Park, and maintained in a state of "arrested decay." It is one of the finest ghost towns in the West, its streets and 200 mostly wooden buildings worn to a rusty, warm patina by the wind and weather of the eastern Sierra. There are no concessions here; modern restroom facilities are available only in the parking lot, and visitors are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch. To find Bodie, take Highway 395 to State Route 270, seven miles south of Bridgeport, California. Proceed east on 270 for approximately 13 miles; the last three miles are unpaved, but generally passable (in summer months) by most passenger vehicles. Call ahead for road conditions (especially in winter, as there are no towing facilities anywhere nearby and the snowy road is impassable to just about any car or truck). Bodie State Historic Park is open in summer (from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend) from 8 AM to 7 PM daily. The remainder of the year it is open from 9 AM to 4 PM, or as posted. Admission fees are $3 per adult, with children from 6-16 admitted for $1. Children under the age of 6 admitted free. You may bring in dogs, but they must be on a leash at all times and are not permitted inside any building in Bodie State Historic Park.

Address


Bridgeport, CA 93517

Lat/Long

38.21220000, -119.01110000
Visit Website
(760) 647-6445

Add a Photo

You must be logged in to add photos.
×

Vote for

You can only vote once for each town every 24 hours. You can vote again in

Vote for 2013 Best Small Town

Vote!

Are you a DMO or CVB?
Explore "Best Town Travels" – Rand McNally’s new map-based digital travel guides for your website plus an iPhone and Facebook app! Learn More

×

Thank you for Voting!

Promote , by sharing your vote or writing a review.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter or Write a Review
×